People can observe modern Taskent by walking along the city tourist sights such as Amir Temur Square, Opera and Ballet named by Alisher Navoiy, Independence Square and so on.
At the end of 19 Century statue of Konstantin Kaufmann was placed at the center of square named by K. Kaufmann. In 1913 statue of Konstantin Kaufmann returned, supported by two soldiers sounding the bugle and planting the flag of tsarist victory. The Bolsheviks renamed Konstantin Kaufmann’s square into Revolution Garden and replaced it with a hammer and sickle, temporary obelisks and Lenin busts, until 1947 when Stalin arose, imposing and avuncular. In 1968, long after Joseph’s death, came a bronze head of Karl Marx, hair and beard cascading in the rush to communism. In 1993, at the close of the experiment his philosophy spawned, Marx was toppled by Amir Temur , rehabilitated from despot to Uzbek national hero.
Now it is Amir Temur Square, one of the favorite Tashkent tourist sights. Tower Clocks at Amir Temur Square from 1947 control Tashkent time. Tower was the highest building in the city before Tashkent restoration after the great earthquake of 1966.
In 2009 all Tashkent people celebrated a great event, 2200 Anniversary of Tashkent. Specially for this great holiday was built second Tashkent Tower Clocks. Oriental Architecture is characterized by right proportions. Famous “Kosh” style in Uzbek architecture we can observe in Samarkand, Bukhara and Khiva madrassahs and mosques. Two minarets, two dome, two arches and two entrances are traditional for oriental constructions. As a present to Tashkent was built second Tower with Clocks.
In 1998 was constructed Museum of Temurid Dynasty. Everyone can keep in mind the inscription on the wall at the nearby Amir Timur Museum, signed by President Karimov himself:
«If somebody wants to understand who the Uzbeks are; if somebody wants to comprehend all the power, might, justice and unlimited possibilities of the Uzbek people, their contribution to global development, their belief in the future, he should recall the image of Amir Timur.»
MODERN TASHKENT: FROM PAST TO OUR DAYS
Follow the direction of Amir Temur’s horse, between 19th century firebrick building of gymnasia for boys and girls (now it is prestigious Institute of Law in Tashkent), along Sayilgokh Street, reborn as ‘Broadway’, favorite modern Tashkent tourist sights, where portrait artists, hawkers and cafes competed for custom until closed in 2006, to the most eccentric reminder of tsarist Tashkent, Residence of Grand Duke N.K. Romanov (1850-1917), a first cousin of Tsar Nicholas II, exiled here in 1881 for exploits involving the crown jewels. The firebrick building with statues of dogs and deer, domes and spires, is based on the outline of the double-headed eagle. In 1935 it became a Lenin Young Pioneers Palace and reopened only in the 1980s to display a jeweler collection. After independence the interiors attracted the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, closing the museum once more.
Independence Square or Mustaqillik Maydoni in Uzbek is the largest city square in the former Soviet Union, flanked by public buildings and walls of fountains. It was known as Cathedral Square, for near the first bank of fountains Kaufmann founded a splendid Orthodox church and Bell Tower. The cathedral was destroyed in the early 1930s (after revolution in Tsarist Russia) and the square turned Red.
In 1936, Lenin statue became the main monument of the Red Square. Tashkent’s Lenin was the world’s tallest, topping 30 meters from granite base to balding pate. He shuffled off in 1992, making way for a building block of nationalism: the giant globe showing only the independent Republic of Uzbekistan. In 2006 the monument of Independence was added with the statue of Happy Mother (sculptor- Ilhom Kamol Dzhabbarov). The image symbolizes a mother’s homeland, and a child — the image of the future of Uzbekistan the Happy Mother is 6 meters high and the length of the child is 3.5 meters. May Day parades of Soviet power have been replaced by the national singers, dancers in colorful costumes and fireworks of 1 September, Independence Day of the Republic of Uzbekistan.
Beside the globe stands the former Government House, first built in 1931 and now housing the Bakhor Concert Hall and the Alisher Navoiy Library. Founded in 1870, the library is renowned for the Turkestan Collection, a vast encyclopedia of events 1867-1917. Part of it survives at the library’s rear, where the Ankhor Canal, one-time border of old and new Tashkent, meanders through a verdant swimming and leisure area. Just to the south is the ex- Gagarin Park, former home to a statue of the first cosmonaut in the world.
Northeast of the globe burns the flame at the monument of Soldier, killed during the 1941 defense of Moscow. Today there is still eternal flame but instead of soldier it is the statue of crying and sorrowful lady as a symbol of all women who waited for their sons, husbands and fathers from the fields of World War II.
The Earthquake Memorial is not only favorite Tashkent tourist sights, but another essential stop on any wedding day video tour, it is one block north past the Turkistan Concert Hall. A granite cube displays the time (5.22am) of the first tremor while an Uzbek man shields a woman and child from the earth opening up before them. Granite reliefs picture the reconstruction.